Friday, January 2, 2015

Step Back, Love What We've Got.

Happy New Year, friends!

I hope your holidays were as wonderful as ours were. We took the kids on an old-fashioned train, saw Santa multiple times, got to snuggle with my squishy, chubby, gorgeous baby niece, played with firecrackers, saw my out-of-this-world grandparents, my hilarious cousins, my in-laws, my dad, and my aunt and uncle. I even was able to socialize with some lovely ladies for an evening! Whaaaat?!

Not only that, but our town has seen its first snowman-yielding snow in over two years, so my boys' Christmas wish is 100% granted. Two snowmen and hours of sledding later, I have some happy, happy boys.

Back in the kitchen, I made about 247 batches of tamales (one of which I lovingly shared with you on Facebook!), roughly four dozen cookies, and have a chocolate & peanut butter pie chilling in fridge at the moment.

These past two weeks, I have been busting my butt to keep the house clean, cooking and baking like my life depended on it, traveling to and from far-away lands, and whipping up ideas to keep the kids entertained. Yet here I sit, with four more days left of freedom from work, and I feel like nothing has really been accomplished. I haven't finished a single book. I haven't edited any photos for the blog- much less written anything! I haven't made a single batch of soap. I haven't sat with the kids to paint a single finger painting!

I look at my kids while they sleep and wonder what I could have done to better improve their vacation. I wonder if there was a way I could have planned more to be more productive.

I could have done those things. Yep. Not gonna lie. I could have taken the boys shooting. I could have read them more books, and built them a fort in the living room. I could have made Christmas play dough again, and we could have decorated cookies. I could have made more soap, baked more bread, and mopped. Did I? Nope. Why?

I'm not perfect. I caught myself sitting on the couch a few times just zoning out at Craig Ferguson and giggling like an idiot. I slept in until 10:00 AM, and my kids ate cookies and milk for breakfast. Just once. This is one of those times when I need to step back and look at the blessings. My kids had an amazing holiday and they got to know their family (and actually bonded with them!). They got to play in snow, and ride on an old-fashioned steam engine! We ate a lot of junk food together and enjoyed every bite. We went to the movies together, I showed them how to make tamales traditionally, and as usual, they got to chase the chicken-escapees.

So for 2015, here is my resolution: I will focus on and embrace the good things that have come to pass. 

Although we can always improve the quality of life, we won't always get everything done that we expect, and I need to learn to be satisfied with the things I have accomplished. I will continue to set the bar high, but know that not always reaching that bar is not failure, but a reminder to step back and enjoy what is here, rather than craning my neck over the fence to see the greener grass. Appreciate your own grass!

We have a cozy little life here. We have everything we need and more. And just because I didn't do more or go more places, I'm fine. The kids are fine. Tomorrow's another day, and we are grateful for that! I love my kids, my husband, my entire family, and my animals. Everything else is just icing on this beautiful cake of life! (So insightful! lol!)


Love you guys (and I'm thankful for you!)!




No comments:

Post a Comment