Friday, June 27, 2014

Roasted Squash with Onions

I am quite possibly the worst when it comes to getting creative in terms of vegetables. I know how important they are to our diet, so I really do make a conscious effort to include them, but I'm so boring about it! I shy away from salads because my littlest will sit there for six hours before he ever eats a raw leaf (plus, I can't have ranch or blue cheese dressing, what's the point?!) My go-to recipes are usually just steamed carrots or a smoothie with spinach or kale. I'm glad no one ever fusses about those two things, but after it being a daily thing, it just gets old. Fortunately, as fate would have it, we figured out something new by accident.

When left to his own devices, my husband developed a love for kebabs. They were simple, filling, and pretty nutritious the way he was preparing them. He grilled them up for dinner a couple of times, but would frequently sacrifice the veggies to the gods of the charcoal, because they would overcook and fall off before the meat was cooked.


My solution: make only-meat kebabs, and just roast the veggies in the oven. 

Now aren't you lucky - I picked these honkin' zucchinis from my garden this morning, so lets use 'em up, shall we? There will be a proper recipe at the bottom of the post.

Take a picture of your shoulda-picked-it-two-days-ago zucchinis. Then set your oven to bake at 425 degrees.


Slice 'er up.



Dice 'er up.



Roughly (do you see this picture? I'm serious when I say "roughly") hack up some onions.



Mix it all together with butter (or oil of your choice), garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.


(I had some yellow squash in the fridge that needed to be used, so I threw some of that in there, too).


Spread the veggies out in a single, even layer on the cookie sheet (a Silpat helps in situations like these!). Bake the veggies for about 8-10 minutes on one side, then remove from the oven, and flip them around. It's fine if you don't get everything, just do your best. Pop them back in the oven for another 8-10 minutes.Your squash should be slightly browned on most sides, not burned or crispy. The onions will be translucent.

And they're done! I didn't take a picture of my finished product because I had to make two batches and I was eating with the family while cooking. I'll get something' up here, soon. 

Pair this up with anything. I serve it with my salmon, steaks, roast chicken, or next to loaded baked potatoes, and everyone (even the picky tiny person) cleans their plate!

I hope that if you prepare this, your family enjoys it as much as mine does. Do you have any good veggie recipes? If so, let me know! I'd love to try something new!


Roasted Squash and Onions

Ingredients:

1 lb zucchini and/or yellow squash, diced
1-2 white onion(s), roughly chopped
1/8 C melted unsalted butter, or oil of your choice
2 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tsp - 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes (more or less, depends on personal preference)


Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. 
2. If you haven't already, dice the zucchini and onions.
3. Toss all veggies into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add your cooking oil and spices to the bowl, and mix with a silicon spatula until every vegetable is covered with spices and oil, evenly.
5. Dump the vegetables onto a cookie sheet, spread a single, even layer. Divide the veggies into batches if you must, but don't have more than a single layer on the cookie sheet at a time.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, remove from the oven, and turn the veggies. 
7. Place back into the oven, bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
8. Remove and serve - enjoy!

Love and crunch,

No comments:

Post a Comment